This recipe was given to Birthzang by her wonderful sister. I have no idea where the recipe came from so if you think it is yours or has been shamelessly ripped off from somewhere else, please let me know and I am happy to credit appropriately!
The cookies are vegan, yes, but that doesn’t mean they are yuk – far from it, they just happen not to have any animal products.
Makes about 20ish cookies
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
handful of choc chips (check your choc is vegan – I just used pure raw cocoa nibs – can also be substituted with a good spoonful of peanut butter and various chopped nuts e.g. hazel, pistache, cashew)
170g sugar (any sort)
112g of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees (Gas 4)
2. Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt, and stir in chips/nuts. Make a well in centre and set aside.
In a separate jug/beaker mix the sugar and oil (if using peanut butter, also add at this point). Mix well. Add vanilla and then water, and mix well again.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry – try not to mix too much. Add more yummy bits if it doesn’t feel like there are enough!
Spoon approx walnut/gold ball size dollops into a baking sheet (un-greased is usually ok) spaced approx 1.5 inches apart. I sometimes press the tops to get a nice pattern and to flatten slightly, though they will settle a bit in the oven.
4.Bake in the top of the oven for 5 mins. Then check and rotate the tray if your oven is uneven like mine.
5.Bake for another 4 mins.
6. Check – they should be turning a nice golden brown colour. They will still be a bit soft (even when cooked). I usually I cook for another two to three minutes keeping an eye so they don’t burn.
7. Take out when they look good golden colour. Leave for a few mins and then run a palette Knife under them to loosen from the tray (otherwise if you let them cool without doing this they will stick).
8. When cooled a little, lift them carefully onto a wire rack.
9. EAT THEM ALL UP!!!! YUMMMMMYYYYY!!!!